Nizhne-Chazhminsky Hot Springs
Nizhne-Chazhminskiye Hot Springs are near the mouth of the Bolshaya Chazhma River. These springs have been known since ancient times. Not far from here, archeologists unearthed Neolithic settlements. The first scientific data is from 1930. In small plots near the springs, regionally rare plant species listed in the Red Data Book have been identified.
This outcrop runs along the right bank of the river and onto the abutting terrace. The visible discharge is about 30 liters/second, and the unseen discharge is 120 liters/second. Some of the thermal streams seep through the ocean shore, observed during low tide by the steam rising from the usually cold sands. Even the rock face at the river mouth is warm, and larga seal often rest here. The water temperature of the springs is 30–56oC. Water is charged, poorly mineralized, and of sodium-sulfate-chloride type. The main channel flows into a small lake, which is likely artificial in origin. These springs have been known to local people since ancient times. Several Neolithic settlements have been found here. The first scientific descriptions date to 1930. The small lake never freezes, so ducks, mainly goldeneye and red-breasted merganser, winter here in moderate flocks. Swans and geese also appear here at times. In the spring, due to the early appearance of vegetation, over one hundred migrating ducks feed here, including pintail, widgeon, mallard, and other species. This small lake is also a spawning place for sticklebacks. In small plots near the springs, regionally rare plant species listed in the Red Data Book have been identified. For example, plain caulescent sedge, bugleweed, and Adder’s tongue.
In the 1960–70s a health spa belonging to the Ust’-Kamchatsky Fish Factory was located here with healing baths. Nowadays the area is strictly protected.